So when it comes to GETTING STUFF DONE, I have struggled recently. My BIG LIST system just wasn’t cutting it anymore. There is too much going on and too many projects with too many PEOPLE to maintain! My systems and workflows include Michael now, so having a system on paper is not ideal. I needed the following in a task management system:
- I needed a way to include Michael that was seamless and simple. If it wasn’t simple, we wouldn’t keep up with it.
- I needed something that I could set due dates on and would send reminder emails to Michael and myself when we’re getting close to forgetting something!
- I needed a way to categorize my “To-do’s” into multiple categories because we have 6 micro businesses in ONE! This is why ONE to-do list on paper was driving me crazy!
- I needed something pretty and simple so that I would WANT to maintain it!
- I needed something with an APP that was easy to access and update!
- I needed a way to assign a task and then within that task, have a checklist for our workflow! This is HUGE!
- I needed a way to GROW. I was drowning in to-do lists and I needed a change.
Now, let me introduce you to TRELLO!!!! My new best friend and office buddy!!! Thankfully, Zach Gray shared this with me several months ago and it has been life changing to say the least!!! Can’t thank you enough Zach! So let me explain a little bit about why I’m obsessed with this new found love!!
Trello is an online task manager that is simple and yet so complex at the same time! The options are endless. There are a few things I wish it had (Like mirroring a card to multiple boards) but we have found a way around that! Here are all of the things you need to know about what Trello can do for you! :
- Well first, it’s FREE! So there’s that!
- In Trello there are BOARDS, LISTS, CARDS and CHECKLISTS
- Here’s a breakdown of our boards: HMH, Advertising, Coaching, Emy (my sister is helping us out!), KJP Katelyn, KJP Michael, Workshops, The Collection, Personal. So basically, this was my BIG TO-DO LIST and I made it into multiple lists.
- Within each BOARD, there are LISTS. Lists are just what they sound like, they are the lists of what needs to be done, what has been done, and what is ongoing. Michael and I like using lists in this capacity: URGENT, TO-DO, DONE and ONGOING. The “ONGOING” list is just where we store CARDS that we re-use!
- CARDS are actual ACTION ITEMS! These are your tasks! You can add members to them, set due dates, move to other boards if you need to, etc.
- Within a CARD you can have a CHECKLIST! This is how we manage any and all workflows! So for example, we shot Nick and Megan’s wedding this past weekend and so I went to my “ONGOING” list in the “KJP-Katelyn” board and I started a “Post Wedding : Nick and Megan” card. Within that card there is a CHECKLIST for me and one for Michael! Once I have done my part, I move it to his board and he gets a tap on his wrist about it. LITERALLY… his apple watch “taps” him. It’s the future.
So, now that you’re completely overwhelmed, just know this. You can make this super intense, or super easy. You can use it for managing a grocery list or managing a small corporation. The options are endless!! Give it a try and you can thank me later!!!! :) Ps. If this is intriguing to you and you have more questions, let us know and we’ll explain more about it down the road!