Well…. six years later, I have at least one answer to that question… BLOGGING! My blog averaged about 40-70 hits a day my first six months in business and today, my readership has grown to the thousands. It hasn’t been easy… and it wasn’t overnight. It took A LOT of hard work and commitment but it’s worth it because this is my marketing! My blog is the #1 referrer for my business. There are hundreds of tips for blogging but today I’m just focusing on one main question that I receive often.
“What platform should I use for my blog?”
I recommend WORDPRESS! Hands down! It’s the largest blogging platform and has amazing resources for photographers and ANY blogger for that matter! I have used wordpress from the beginning… well, after I had Typepad. Typepad was the platform for my FIRST blog and guess what… it’s still LIVE!! How embarrassing!!! I honestly thought that coloring my watermark to match each image was a great way to show my creativity. YIKES. You know I love you if I’m showing you this!!! You can read my OLD BLOG here! That’s where it all began folks! Whew, thank goodness for change. Ps. If you haven’t heard about “Inspired Designs” and why I changed my business name, you can read about it HERE!
So why do I love WordPress? Well, here are a few reasons:
- Prophoto Templates : These templates can be customized and are optimized for displaying images!
- Plugins : SO many plugins! These awesome (and often FREE) tools can be used to enhance functionality. Plugins can improve SEO, catch comment spam, improve your blog’s caching system so that your site loads faster and much more!
- Constant upgrades! When the web changes, so does WordPress!
- User friendly interface. WordPress’s interface is easy to navigate… even for a newbie! The learning curve isn’t steep and so even new bloggers can learn the ropes!
- It’s Affordable! Now I have a CUSTOM WordPress Blog from Flosites…. so it was a pretty penny. However, standard themes that can be customized are VERY affordable! You don’t need a several thousand dollar custom site to have a great blog.
If you’re considering blogging… DO it! WordPress is the BEST place to start! 6 years and I’m still a HUGE fan!! Happy blogging!
If you find this helpful, be sure to join our newsletter community for more FREE tips, tricks and advice! Signup HERE OR by clicking below!